How to produce B&W (not mono, not colour) surf/mesh EPS plot

From: emmet
Subject: How to produce B&W (not mono, not colour) surf/mesh EPS plot
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 07:41:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've been struggling with this one for a while. I can't believe I'm the only
one with this problem, but I've googled and searched the mailing-list
archives and found nothing that works; most online stuff seems to apply to
antediluvian versions of Octave.

My problem is that I need to produce a B&W (or greyscale using only dark
greys) surface plot for printing. surf() or mesh() produce colour plots with
yellow and cyan which are nearly invisible on paper or on the screen. I've
been able to get greyscale output, but again with very light greys which are
invisible. I've tried :

  __gnuplot_raw__("set palette maxcolors 1;\n");

This produces the output I want on-screen, but the EPS file (print
'foo.eps') has no plot at all (as if the only colour used was white). I've
hacked 'mesh.m' to redefine the palette (to all 'grey20'), then if I print
with 'print foo.eps -color' and I can get what I want, but this is surely
evil, there has to be a canonical way of doing this that I've overlooked,
no?

Also, there is a "key" in the top-right corner that I can't seem to find a
way to suppress. I can change/cull the text,  "line 1", in the EPS with sed,
but my PostScript-Fu is not good enough to get rid of the little key line.

Using Octave 2.9.9 with all the packaged trimmings on Ubuntu Feisty.

Any ideas?

Emmet.

--
http://emmet.caulfield.info/