Re: open socket with listen() and still have command line available?

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: open socket with listen() and still have command line available?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 00:51:16 -0400

On May 26, 2007, at 12:11 AM, Paul Kienzle wrote:

On May 25, 2007, at 1:46 PM, John Swensen wrote:

David Bateman wrote:
As I'm currently thinking about octave-forge packaging and a release, I see that both the package sockets and miscellaneous (which contains Paul's listen function) are marked as autoloaded by default.

As there is an overlap in functionality, this makes no sense as which version of listen that will be used will be determined by the order Octave saves the package description structure to a file. There is no guarantee of any particular order for this.

I'd therefore propose that the sockets package is not marked as autoloaded and then when a user wants this functionality they force sockets to be loaded with "pkg load sockets".. This will ensure that

D.

That is fine with me. Until I get the functions renamed to sock_* and implement a higher level set of functions, I see no reason why you shouldn't make it a manual-load package.

I got no response when I asked if anyone used the current listen function. I'm content to give up the name so that the standard posix functions can use it. Feel free to rename my listen function to octave_server and/or move it into its own octave_server package.

Hmm... that still leaves the send/recv function in parallel which will conflict with the posix socket interface.

        - Paul