strange failure in javaaddpath

From: Daniel Oberhoff
Subject: strange failure in javaaddpath
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:20:11 +0200

Hi All,

I just wanted to try out the new jhandles plotting thing. I am on osx, so I had to whack the configure scripts of java and jhandles a little, basically hardcoding some paths and version numbers, but then they go through. But when installing jhandles I get soem unspecified error in javaaddpath. Now I experimented and the error _always_ happens when

java_invoke ("org.octave.ClassHelper", "addClassPath", new_path);

which is the core functionality of javaaddpath, is called from within a function. i.e.

octave:3> java_invoke ("org.octave.ClassHelper", "addClassPath", "/");

works but

octave:2> function test;java_invoke ("org.octave.ClassHelper", "addClassPath", "/");end;test

gives

error: called from `test'

??? what is different inside the function that can make java_invoke fail so mystically?

Daniel Oberhoff