Re: Octave.app for MacOSX released

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: Octave.app for MacOSX released
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:45:07 -0400

On Jul 13, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Henry F. Mollet wrote:

I replaced lines 109-116 in drawnow.m with your changes given below becoming lines 109-114. As I have two drawnow.m, (one for Octave 2.9.12 and one for Octave 2.1.73) I made sure that I corrected the one for Octave 2.9.12.

When I then tried
__gnuplot_set term aqua 1
it still did no work i.e. the Window title did not change and remained "Figure 0". No error messages either as before. Just to make sure, I checked using "which drawnow.m" at the octave-2.9.12 prompt and was told that octave-2.9.12 was using the one that I had corrected.

Therefore, at the moment, I would not be able to use a script that draws more that one plot in Octave 2.9.12 because the first plot would be replaced with the second one. I would have to revert to Octave 2.1.73.
Henry

Henry,

Have you tried the figure(n) command?

In 2.9.x I can do the following:

  figure(1); plot(1:10);
  figure(3); plot(2:11);
  figure(1); hold on; plot(3:12); hold off;

and it works like I expect. You do not need to use __gnuplot_set__ term aqua to switch between terminals.

In John's rewrite of the plotting infrastructure he had octave open a separate connection for each figure so that operations like the above would be possible. I think you are encountering one of the side effects, which is that things no longer work as before. From the behaviour I believe what is happening is that __gnuplot_set__ and __gnuplot_raw__ are sent to their own private connection to gnuplot, separate from any of the figure plotting commands.

To test this, I tried the following:

  __gnuplot_set__ term aqua 1
  __gnuplot_raw__ ("plot sin(x)\n")

and sure enough it created a new figure with title bar "Figure 2" and a sinusoid plotted.

I have no idea how to redirect plotting commands to the raw terminal, or conversely, how to send raw commands to a figure terminal.

- Paul