Re: Emacs and Octave

From: mccoct
Subject: Re: Emacs and Octave
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 12:52:00 -0700 (PDT)

So emacs is starting to make more sense to me but it is a farily painful
process.

>If you do not see the Octave prompt or the commands you write
>do not work, then it's a system configuration issue.  What system are
>you on?

I do not see an octave prompt. I think that I need to edit the ~/.emacs file
that emacs loads at startup (according to the octave manual). However, I do
not know what file this is. Can anyone help describe where this file is?

>From the octave manual:
1. To begin using Octave mode for all .m files you visit, add the following
lines to a file loaded by Emacs at startup time, typically your ~/.emacs
file:
          (autoload 'octave-mode "octave-mod" nil t)
          (setq auto-mode-alist
                (cons '("\\.m$" . octave-mode) auto-mode-alist))

But how do I actually do this?