Re: problem with gnuplot/aquaterm invocation from /usr/local version of

From: backspaces
Subject: Re: problem with gnuplot/aquaterm invocation from /usr/local version of octave.
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:26:38 -0700 (PDT)

OK, here's the answer apparently.  Thanks to the thread:
http://www.nabble.com/Octave.app-for-MacOSX-released-tf4026111.html
.. and especially Paul Kienzle and Henry Mollet, we found several
interesting aspects on how octave figures out how to launch and use gnuplot.

The bottom line for this thread is that my problem was having the X11
DISPLAY environment variable set, thus apparently triggering the use of the
-title flag to gnuplot, which only works on X11.

By unsetting that variable, my problems went away.

I would suggest the presence of the DISPLAY variable may not be a good
indication that we are actually running X11, at least on the Mac.  This is
partly an oddity of gnuplot itself: it passes all "X11 variables" to the
window manager.  On the Mac, especially when running aquaterm, those
variables should not crash gnuplot, IMHO.  Maybe aquaterm, and terminal.app
too, should accept these variables and use them if they make sense.

Not sure how else to handle it though, these configuration problems are
quite tricky.

Owen