Re: More Re: AW: Re: pkg install/uninstall again

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: More Re: AW: Re: pkg install/uninstall again
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:12:21 +0200

kensmith wrote:
> On Monday 16 July 2007 01:13, David Bateman wrote:
>
>> kensmith wrote:
>>
>>> It appears that I had a very different problem from the org.
>>> question.
>>>
>>> I figured out part of the problem in the "make" operation.  The
>>> Makefile has a common mistake in it.  In all places where you see:
>>>
>>>         XXXXX   =   YYYY, ZZZZ .... etc
>>>
>>> make that
>>>
>>>        XXXXX=  YYYY,ZZZZ ... etc
>>>
>>> I had fixed only some of the cases resulting in some lines that did
>>> work and some that didn't in the Makefiles.
>>>
>>> I still haven't gotten it to work right yet, but I'm getting
>>> closer.
>>>
>> What version of make are you using..
>>

> *******
> ~> make -v
> GNU Make 3.80
> Copyright (C) 2002  Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> *************
>

>> The above is necessary for shell
>> script but not to my knowledge for Makefiles.. Octave itself is full
>> of such examples. I suspect if you used a gnu version of make (which
>> in fact I believe are the only officially supported versions of make)
>> then these problems would go away...
>>

> It looks like you suspect wrong since it is a GNU version.  Perhaps it
> is just a "feature" of only this version of the GNU make.  I am fairly
> sure that it was a non-GNU make where I first bumped into this issue
> and since them I have never put spaces in.  As a result I've never put
> it to test with my own "Makefile"s.
>
> After removing the spaces, it looks like I have another problem only
> this one is in the "./configure" script.  The  help stuff is supposed
> to be processed by a   "Texinfo" utility.  The "./configure" is getting
> something wrong there.  I think it may be that it can't find the needed
> program and sets it to "missing" because I get an unknown command
> called "missing" in my "Makefile"s for the documentation.
>
> If I get it all fixed, I will post the patch.

Ken,

Your solution makes no sense. Consider that all of the Octave Makefiles
include such syntax for argument setting, so I doubt your patch will be
accept. If you don't believe just look at

http://velveeta.che.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/octave/src/Makefile.in?rev=HEAD

and you'll see every single variable that is set includes a space
between the variable name and the "=" or ":=". How could octave itself
be built on your platform, if the space needs to be removed.. BTW I also
make v3.80 of gnu make and I have no problems with the build...

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary