Re: Octaviz help, general question about plotting scattered data

From: Carlo de Falco
Subject: Re: Octaviz help, general question about plotting scattered data
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:16:32 +0200

On 17/lug/07, at 03:33, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:

My second question is no doubt more complex. Suppose I have scattered
data points on some unstructured grid on the plane, and I have a
function value at each point. That is, the only data I have is a bunch
of (x,y,z) triplets that can be given to me in any order. They should
represent samplings from a smooth function, hopefully a solution to a
shallow water equation without shocks, once I get my code working. How
can I form a quasi-smooth surface which interpolates with small
polygons the data points that I give? I realise this may be a bit of a
complicated problem in computational geometry, but it also seems like
it should be a problem common enough for someone to have solved it
very well already.

If I understand what you want to do,
you could use the function "delaunay" from the geometry package in  o-f
for creating a triangulation and then the functions in the package FPL to plot the data.
c.

Thanks!
- Jordi G. H.