Re: is octave slow and missing functions?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: is octave slow and missing functions?
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:37:06 +0200

On 13.08.2007, at 16:54, address@hidden wrote:

Message: 10
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:53:53 +0200 (CEST)
From: address@hidden (Karl Hammar)
Subject: is octave slow and missing functions?
To: address@hidden

I got this response re. octave as alternative to matlab:

I should make a note about this; I use octave a lot at home as it's rather cheap (free). It can be an alternative in some instances but there are
some limitations with it:

* most importantly, the plotting system has plenty of caveats. legends does not work properly, line annotation is poor, zooming panning etc is missing. it is totally useless for 3D plots (workarounds exist but they
are rather messy IMO)

That's somewhere in between very harsh criticism and simply not true. The plotting system is being improved every day. Legends DO work, zooming DOES work, and 3D-plots DO work. And these things have been working very well for a long time now. I believe all these things worked fine with version 2.1.7x, which can be considered rather dated by now.

* it runs very poorly in windows using unix emulation libraries

I can't comment on this, but I've seen Octave running on Windows very nicely.
(Did I just use 'Windows' and 'nice' in the same sentence?)

* on mac, it relies on fink and macports. this installation has a few
problems, at least on my computer.

Not true. Look at Octave.app at sourceforge. Just a vanilla Mac application, no Fink and MacPorts required.

it is not really possible to use
alt+tab with it since it is an X11 application.

Not true. Octave runs in any terminal, not only in the X11 terminal. X11 can be used for plotting, but one can also use Aquaterm to plot in the native Mac environment (Aqua).

* there is no GUI (and the CLI lacks the very useful !-command)

Is this really a disadvantage? I hate GUIs that get in my way...
(back in the days when I used Matlab for my work, I ran Matlab on the command line terminal, without the GUI)

* it's rather slow compared to matlab

Uhm, no. Maybe some things are slower than in Matlab if the respective libraries were missing when Octave was compiled. If you use a properly compiled binary (e.g. the ones from the Octave download repository at sourceforge) your're fine.

* many more advanced commands are missing (convolution only works with
some cases for example)

Uhm, I don't think that convolution is any different in Octave than in Matlab. If I'm wrong I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me with an example t

other than that I think it's rather ok. but I think it is only an
alternative on Linux/BSD where it came from.

Well, I switched over to Octave from Matlab. The only thing I miss is the advanced plotting system of Matlab, but Octave is getting there!

And: did you ever have trouble to make something work in Matlab? Did you send an email to Mathworks, asking for help? Propably not. If even if you had, you propably would not get an answer fro them. That's a little different with Octave and this help list!

Matthias

-------
Matthias Brennwald
Lägernstrasse 6