Re: On mkoctfile and Spline Package Installation

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: On mkoctfile and Spline Package Installation
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 19:05:29 +0200

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. You need to have the 'mkoctfile' command available at the standard system terminal (not the octave terminal). But, yes I think you need to install 'octave-headers' and 'octave-devel', if that is indeed what the packages are called on your system.

Søren

Nose Nada skrev:
Thanks Soren!

I do have the mkoctfile command available in the Octave terminal.
Do you think I should install 'octave-headers' and 'octave-devel'?

Looking forward,

Omar

Søren Hauberg wrote:
I don't know the fedora system, but on many systems you need a package called 'octave-headers', 'octave-devel' or something like that. Check if you have the 'mkoctfile' file command available in a terminal. That's the one you need.

Søren

Nose Nada skrev:
Thanks David!
I'm using Fedora 7 and I think that the compilers are installed. For
example:

address@hidden /]# rpm -q gcc
gcc-4.1.2-12

Is this enough? Or am I missing something?

Omar

dbateman wrote:
Nose Nada wrote:
Hello there!

I have just recently installed Octave under Fedora 7. Everything OK.
However, when I tried to installed the spline-gcvspl package from
Octave-forge I have problems:

octave:6> pkg install spline-gcvspl-1.0.1.tar.gz
See `config.log' for more details.
error: the configure script returned the following error: checking for
gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... error: called from `pkg:configure_make' in file
/usr/share/octave/2.9.13/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 989, column 2
Looks like you are missing the compilers.. What OS/platform are you
running on? Did you install the compilers?

I tried a different package:
octave:5> pkg install informationtheory-0.1.1.tar.gz
and it work perfectly.
Can anyone give a hint on how to deal with this? My experience in Linux
is
very poor, I'm just a beginner.
Thanks in advance, folks!
The informationtheory packages is just a collection of m-files and so
doesn't need a compiler. Therefore it installs fine.

Omar