Re: How to get Octave.app to work 3

From: Gaurav Khanna
Subject: Re: How to get Octave.app to work 3
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 15:30:00 -0400

Hi

Without digging into my old emails too much, I have gotten negative comments regarding: a) missing octave-forge extensions b) performance and c) issues with plotting (via aquaterm for example). The positive comments are all about the easy install part.

I like to help people with getting things going, but its difficult for me to troubleshoot someone else's application. That would be main motivation for me to go back to creating my own binaries. I still have my 2.9.9 binaries saved, although they don't sit on a webserver. If anyone wants them, I can certainly upload them somewhere ..

Thanks,
Gaurav

On Sep 5, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

John W. Eaton schrieb:
| On Sep 5, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Gaurav Khanna wrote:
| | > Hi
| >
| > I have heard a few other complaints regarding the octave.app. I | > will continue to release my own compiled binaries again very soon. | > Please check again in a couple of days (weeks?). Thanks for this | > message.
It would be good to know what causes the difference in performance.
Is there someone here who could investigate?  First I suppose we need
to know that the change in performance isn't due to some change in
2.9.9 -> 2.9.13, but is really caused by the way that Octave.app is
compiled.
jwe

Gaurav,

I'd like to know what exactly you mean by "I have heard a few other complaints regarding the octave.app". Details (good or bad) would help to improve an iterative development process like Octave.app. Is there still a hpc-binary release available that can be up-/downloaded?

  Thomas

GAURAV KHANNA
UMass Dartmouth, Physics
(508) 910 6605
http://gravity.phy.umassd.edu/

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright