Where is .emacs or similar

From: Nose Nada
Subject: Where is .emacs or similar
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:23:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello there!

I'm running Octave 2.9.13 under Fedora 7 in a x86-64 machine. I have
installed Emacs 22.1 from sources for the sake of using the Emac support to
Octave. I need to configure Emac for this purpose but I find neither the
Emac start up time file, .emac nor any of the options described in the
manual. That is, working as root I do not have ~/.emac or ~/emac.el and
while I have ~/.emac.h there is no .init.el.Is there some alternative to
configure with the Octave Manual instructions? Can I create from scratch a
.emacs file? Will it be load at start by emacs?

I look forward.
Thanks in advance.