Re: mkoctfile under Windows

From: Christof Zeile
Subject: Re: mkoctfile under Windows
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 19:58:16 +0200

David Bateman wrote:
Christof Zeile wrote:
Has anybody so far succeeded in using mkoctfile with
Version 2.9.13 of Octave, Windows version, no cygwin?
[...]

Have you installed an MSVC compiler.. The README that comes with the
[...]

Yes, thanks, I have one. I even deinstalled my OpenWatcom Compiler
before installing MSVC (by the way - is there a chance to get
OpenWatcom support for mkoctfile?).

Thanks for the other comments as well. The problem is: The README
tells me to install MSVC. But I also need the Platform SDK!
Perhaps that should be made clear in the README.

But this is still not enough ...

The problem is that Windows does not like the additional double
quotes introduced in the following line of mkoctfile.m:
    cmd = strcat (cmd, " \"", varargin{i}, "\"");
I changed that to
    cmd = strcat (cmd, " ", varargin{i});
(my new m-File is called mkoctfilenew.m)

So that's what I did finally:

- Open command window
  cd "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\"
  vcvarsall
set INCLUDE=%INCLUDE%%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include; set LIB=%LIB%%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib;
  %ProgramFiles%\Octave\bin\octave
  mkoctfilenew("helloworld.cc")

Works!

* I need to call vcvarsall.bat to set the MSVC paths.
* Somehow I have to set the include and library paths for the SDK
  manually.

Any comments?

Again, thanks for your help so far!

Christof