Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Octave Compatiblity with MatLAB
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:27:44 -0500

Anderson, Gregg T CIV USAF AFRL/MLPJ wrote:

Hi,
I work for the Air Force here at Wright-Patterson AFB Dayton, Ohio. The base is a big MatLAB/MathCAD/Mathematica user, as you can imagine. I recently discovered Octave and want to evaluate a copy on my WindowsXP machine. What are the latest compatility issues with, specifically MatLAB? I read the FAQ on Octave/MatLAB compatility. Apparently that hasn't been updated since Feb '98. Anything more recent? With a whole lot of happy MatLAB users around here will they have to do something special in order to "see" Octave files, programs, scripts? Can Octave users "see" MatLAB output? Can graphs generated by both be exchanged without software "encumberances?" If there are "barriers" between the two, that would kill getting Octave adopted on a widespread scale. Basically, would a MatLAB user have to do any more work to receive Octave output?

Also, our base is switching over gradually to VISTA. Does Octave work with VISTA or is it too early yet?

This page has a more updated list of (mostly minor) incompatibilities in the programming languages:
http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?MatlabOctaveCompatibility

I have an extensive amount of code that will run in either Octave or MATLAB. I would summarize the differences as:

1. Octave is not as fast at processing code with a lot of loops.

2. Octave's plotting interface used to implement only a subset of MATLAB's interface, but in the latest releases it is much closer. The goal is 100% compatibility, but you may still find unimplemented or buggy features.

3. Octave does not have an IDE. That has no bearing on whether code written on one will run in the other, but there seem to be a lot of people on this list who would like to see one, and a lot of other people (myself included) who don't care because we are attached to some other editor like emacs anyway.

4. Octave does not have an equivalent of Simulink.

Quentin