Re: speed of octave

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: speed of octave
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 04:37:29 +0900 (JST)

--- Michael Goffioul <address@hidden> wrote:
> This is indeed what I do with ATLAS in the binary installer for Windows.
> When building octave, I link it against generic F77 BLAS/LAPACK libs.
> On installation, according to user's choice, I install either ATLAS or
> generic F77 libs as blas.dll and lapack.dll. As long as the ATLAS DLL
> provide the same symbols as the generic F77 DLL, everything is
> fine.
Hi Michael.

I have a question about ATLAS.  There shoud be differences in the L2 cash size
between several pentium
4 core cpu's.  How much size did you set for your ALTAS in your binary you
distribute?  I am using two
computers: the cpu of them is HT pentium 3.4 GHz and the other is celeron M
1.2GHz.  If the L2 cash
size is not the same as you build ALTAS, will it be better to select ATLAS when
the cpu is pentium4
core? In the installing your binary, the user will select either the pentium4
with sse2 or the
generic.  Until now, I have not been care about the ATLAS.

Of course the features which is not related lapack, it is worth to select sse2.
 However is the
selection of sse2 better even if the L2 cash size of the computer is different
from what you designed
for?

Tatsuro MATSUOKA

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/