Re: [Fwd: Re: mkoctfile under Windows]

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: mkoctfile under Windows]
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:50:24 +0200

On 9/14/07, Christof Zeile <address@hidden> wrote:
> octave.exe:21> which mkoctfile
> mkoctfile is the user-defined function from the file
> d:\Octave\mkoctfile.m
> octave.exe:22> mkoctfile("helloworld.cc")
> Der Befehl "C:\Programme\Octave\bin\mkoctfile-2.9.13" "helloworld.cc"
> ist entweder falsch geschrieben oder
> konnte nicht gefunden werden.
> "C:\Programme\Octave\bin\mkoctfile-2.9.13" "helloworld.cc"
> octave.exe:23>
>
> The German error message from Windows means:
>
>   The command "C:\Programme\Octave\bin\mkoctfile-2.9.13" "helloworld.cc"
>   has been misspelled or could not be found.

OK, I think this is due to the (highly) stupid way of double-quote
handling of the Windows "system" command: to be short, if the
command starts with a double-quote, it removes it, as well as any
trailing double-quote. So if your command is

"mycommand.exe" "myarg1" "myarg2"

the system will try to execute

mycomand.exe" "myarg1" "myarg2

and (of course) fail. Up to now, I could not find a reliable way to
avoid this kind of problem (the first double-quote is needed if your
command could contain a space). So, currently there's no
solution.

Michael.