Re: Colormap in meshc.m

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Colormap in meshc.m
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:58:35 +0200

Henry F. Mollet wrote:
> I don't understand the colormap used in meshc.m. I'm using
>   '/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave'
> GNU Octave, version 2.9.14
> and get the same results in X-term and AquaTerm. I cannot
> be sure if the problem is not Mac app. specific because
> I still have unresolved other color problems
> (e.g. blue default instead of red).
> Henry
>
> Details:
> octave-2.9.14:1> figure(1)
> octave-2.9.14:2> peaks
> ## peaks appears in default colormap = 'jet'
> ## I may have changed the default colormap so it would be 'jet'.
> octave-2.9.14:3> colormap(gray)
> octave-2.9.14:4> colormap(jet)
> ## can change colormap to 'gray' and back to 'jet'.
>
> octave-2.9.14:5> figure (2)
> octave-2.9.14:6> [x,y,z]=peaks;
> octave-2.9.14:7> meshc(x,y,z)
> ## I expect the peaks plot plus a contour plot in the xy-plane.
> ## I can see that peaks is drawn first using colormap jet as expected
> ## but then as the peaks are redrawn at the same time
> ## as the contours are drawn,
> ## the peaks plot changes to an unknown colormap
> ## perhaps a combination of 2 different colormaps,
> ## whereas the contours appear to use colormap 'jet'
> ## The colors used for peaks and contours no longer match.
>
> octave-2.9.14:12> colormap (gray)
> octave-2.9.14:13> colormap (jet)
> ## This only affects the peaks portion of the plot
> ## and has no effect on the contours portion of the plot.
> ## It will change the peaks to gray
> ## then back to the same unknown colormap not 'jet'.

The problem is with gnuplots treatment of the colourmap rather than in
the colormap itself.. For the same function I don't see this effect with
jhandles... I therefore think the problem is in Gnuplot..

D.

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary