compiling the bleeding-edge on OS X

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: compiling the bleeding-edge on OS X
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:29:18 -0400

I'm having trouble compiling my cvs copy on Mac OS X with a Fink installation. Octave compiled via Fink works fine, btw. The result is below,

./autogen
./configure

<snip>

checking for erfc... yes
checking for exp2... yes
checking for log2... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blksize... yes
checking for struct stat.st_blocks... yes
checking for struct stat.st_rdev... yes
checking whether struct tm is in sys/time.h or time.h... time.h
checking for struct tm.tm_zone... yes
checking whether closedir returns void... no
checking for struct group.gr_passwd... no
checking if mkdir takes one argument... no
checking for tputs in -lncurses... yes
checking for rl_set_keyboard_input_timeout in -lreadline... no
configure: WARNING: I need GNU Readline 4.2 or later
configure: error: this is fatal unless you specify --disable-readline

However, I do have readline installed via Fink

bens-macbook:~/src/octave bpabbott$ fink list readline
Information about 6553 packages read in 1 seconds.
readline 4.3-1028 Comfortable terminal input library
     readline-java        0.8.0-1024      Readline support for Java
i readline-shlibs 4.3-1028 Comfortable terminal input library i readline5 5.0-1005 Comfortable terminal input library i readline5-shlibs 5.0-1005 Comfortable terminal input library term-readline-gn... 1.15-1004 Perl extension for the GNU Readline
     term-readline-pm     1.0203-12       Minimal interface to Readline
 p   term-readline-pm586                  [virtual package]
     term-readline-pm588                  [virtual package]

Any thoughts on what needs to be done to compile the code from the cvs on Mac OS X using Fink to handle the dependencies would be appreciated.

TIA