Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave-Forge: Segmentation Fault
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:59:37 -0500

On Nov 22, 2007, at 2:18 PM, Thomas Treichl wrote:

Ben Abbott schrieb:
On Nov 22, 2007, at 1:09 AM, Isaiah Oloyede wrote:
I have Octave installed via Fink on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I have uninstalled and installed Octave many times without number in order to get Octave-Forge packages installed, but all my attempts have ended in futility thus far.

I am a complete newbie to Mac and all the POSIX like commands.

I tried installing Octave-Forge packages through Fink, I got segmentation faults, I also tried installing each package independently, I still got the same segmentation fault, so I guess the whole problem has to do with my mac os x configuration.

Here is the log of my last atttempt of installing octave-forge, any help will be appreciated.

mkoctfile: stripping disabled on this platform
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
/var/tmp/tmp.2.GIOm4T: line 7: 20250 Segmentation fault octave -q ../tmp
### execution of /var/tmp/tmp.2.GIOm4T failed, exit code 139
Removing runtime build-lock...
Removing build-lock package...
/sw/bin/dpkg-lockwait -r fink-buildlock-octave-forge-20070821-1004
(Reading database ... 71588 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing fink-buildlock-octave-forge-20070821-1004 ...
Failed: phase installing: octave-forge-20070821-1004 failed

Here is the log of my attempt to install one of the octave-forge packages

octave:4> pkg install audio-1.0.1.tar.gz
panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...
Segmentation fault
Isaiah, I've been struggling with this problem also. For me it occurs only on Intel based Macs using a Fink install.
Are you also compiling on an Intel based mac?
In any event, I do not have a solution.
Ben

Hi,

you need to find out where exactly the problem appears. I expect that it has something to do with packages that need compilation of sources. Try not to install the audio package, because it's implementation includes something like

  #include <linux/soundcard.h>

hhhmmm... this doesn't work us. However, installing this package doesn't 'panic: Segmentation fault -- stopping myself...' my Mac but the *.oct files aren't installed (only the *m files are installed). Try to install these packages instead

 - time (package contains *.m files only)
 - signal (package contains *.m files and *.cc files)

   If this package fails for you then open a Terminal.app and do
   bash~:$ tar -xzf signal-1.0.4.tar.gz
   bash~:$ cd signal-1.0.4/src
   bash~:$ ./configure && make # do you see any errors on screen?
bash~:$ octave # and do a test call to one of the functions of this package
                  # do you see any errors on screen?

 - odepkg (package contains *.m, *.c and *.f files)

   If this package fails for you then open a Terminal.app and do
   bash~:$ tar -xzf odepkg-0.3.3.tar.gz
   bash~:$ cd odepkg-0.3.3/src
   bash~:$ ./configure && make # do you see any errors on screen?
bash~:$ octave # and do a test call to one of the functions of this package
                  # do you see any errors on screen?

Thomas

Thomas,

There's a thread on sourceforge here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/ index.php?func=detail&aid=1825780&group_id=17203&atid=414256

I've never encountered a seg-fault using a ppc. Further, I only encounter a seg-fault when I install SuiteSparse *without* libcsparse.a, build Octave-2.9.17, and try to install Octave- Forge-20071014. When I include libcsparse.a in the SuiteSparse install, or remove SuiteSparse entirely, I have no problem ... I've duplicated that effort twice.

I'm now only running 2.9.17 compiled with g95 and SuiteSparse (with libcsparse.a). This appears to work for me. However, I'm convinced all I've done is to avoid the feature that leads to the seg-fault. I don't see any evidence that I've fixed it.

There has been some indication that using gfortran is more likley to result in a seg-fault than g95. However, i have not tried to confirm.

In any event, since I'd prefer not to revert to 2.9.14, perhaps Isaiah is willing to try what you've advised? (a good idea I think) ... if not I'll take a look after I've had a nap and recovered from eating to much today ;-)

Ben