Re: Reading NI TDMS files

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Reading NI TDMS files
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 17:24:06 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
> I disagree, as I would prefer to avoid encouraging people to write
> any proprietary plug-ins for Octave (which I maintain is a violation
> of the GPL).

Yes it would be better to have a GPLed replacement of the proprietary
code, and I agree that any interface to Octave for proprietary code that
is distributed is a violation of the GPL. However, what is encouraging?
Turning a blind-eye to me, means we ignore the existence of the
interface code, and give no support whatsoever to it. If its of high
value the users themselves might support it and even write a fully GPLed
replacement. Heck the ARPACK interface I wrote fits into this category,
though the restriction in the ARPACK license is very very mild.

However, how can your statement above match the reality that there is
nothing to stop a distribution of a mex-file interface that Octave can
use? If you don't also allow and oct-file interface, at least tacitly,
then we are only penalizing Octave.

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information