Re: 'system': bug or misunderstanding?

From: Doug Stewart
Subject: Re: 'system': bug or misunderstanding?
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 07:33:25 -0500

clerke wrote:
On Friday 04 January 2008 22:29:01 John W. Eaton wrote:
This is documented, though I suppose not very clearly.  I would
welcome a patch that improved the doc string.

Is system.texi the right file for the patch?

While looking at a patch for the description, I realized the actual behaviour of system (at least in my case) differs significantly from the description.
I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my system now...

For example, the description says:
"To send the output of a command executed with @var{system} through the pager, use a command like
disp (system (cmd, 1));"

This doesn't work for me (because system, used like this, returns only the exit status). Examples:

octave:58> disp(system("ls", 1))
0
octave:59> system("ls", 1)
ans = 0

On Ubuntu and Octave 3.0.0 I see the same as you.

In all cases, to get the output returned to octave (rather than stdout) I need to specify the second output arg. Is this the way everyone else sees it?

wayne