Re: Octave under Windows in a teaching environment.

From: Julian Schnidder
Subject: Re: Octave under Windows in a teaching environment.
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 01:00:26 +0100

Am 08.01.2008 um 22:54 schrieb Yann Le Du:

[...]
This installer was used to install Octave on around 20 different laptops,
some Vista, some XP, some Mac OS X, belonging to students to whom
Matlab/Octave basics are taught.

Now Octave runs ok, except for some annoying problems, which, I think it
is important to add, DO NOT OCCUR ON ALL COMPUTERS on which Octave was
installed. Some of the problems are :

1/ the text in legends in plots is not displayed ;
2/ saving the plot to a file doesn't write the axis labels or legends ;

Do you use Latex formatting? Then the labels appear correctly on the screen but disappear in the saved plot:

%  LaTeX-labels disappear in saved plot

ff=@(x,y) x.*y;

[X,Y]=meshgrid(linspace(-2,2),linspace(-2,2));
Z=ff(X,Y);
contour(X,Y,Z,42);
xlabel('x_1');
ylabel('x_2');
title('LaTeX formatting: x_1\times x_2');
print -dpng ff.png

I have Octave 3.0.0 for Mac OS X (10.4.11 PPC) from octave.sf.net with gnuplot (bundled with octave) and X11 plotting terminal.

Regards,
Julian