Re: gunzip incompatible

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: gunzip incompatible
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:09:21 -0500

On 28-Jan-2008, Muthiah Annamalai wrote:

| I think this change makes something like what you say, but it doesnt
| handle tar.gz,
| tar.bz, tar.bz2. I am not attaching a changelog, as I expect further
| improvement.

I don't think this is quite right, but I will admit that it is
somewhat more complicated than I initially thought it would be, partly
because of the way unpack is currently written, and partly because for
compatibility, we have to handle things like

  gunzip ("foo")

when the file is actually "foo.tar" or "foo.tar.gz" or "foo.tgz", etc.

How about we move this to the maintainers list?

jwe