Build Octave-3.0.0 with HDF5-1.8.0

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Build Octave-3.0.0 with HDF5-1.8.0
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:40:51 -0400

On  5-Apr-2008, David Kredba wrote:

| I am building Octave-3.0.0 on my LFS/BLFS system
| (www.linuxfromscratch.org) with hdf5-1.8.0.
|
| Gcc is 4.2.3.
|
| The compilation fails with :
|
| g++ -c  -fPIC -I. -I.. -I../liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc
| -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -mieee-fp -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -g -O2
| ls-hdf5.cc -o pic/ls-hdf5.o
| ls-hdf5.cc: In function ?bool hdf5_check_attr(hid_t, const char*)?:
| ls-hdf5.cc:146: error: invalid conversion from ?herr_t (**)(hid_t, void*)?
| to ?hid_t?

| Did I used proper version of HDF5? Configure is not complained about, so I
| hope not.

The configure script generally doesn't check for version information,
but tries to check for required features as that is more likely to
work in the future.  Unfortunately, this appears to be a case where a
change in a library implementation breaks Octave.  Perhaps someone will
submit a patch for Octave that will fix the problem.  You might be
able to avoid it by using an earlier version of the HDF5 library, but
it would be better if Octave could be fixed to work with old and new
versions of HDF5.

jwe