Re: Question about building under Linux

From: James P. Howard, II
Subject: Re: Question about building under Linux
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:35:49 -0400

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:01 PM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:

>  Why?

To make a many-year story short, RPM has some significant problems,
and it is too painful to maintain certain applications (MATLAB,
Mathematica, for instance).  As a result, I'd rather manage Octave
directly, than maintain some mixture of RPM and non-RPM managed
systems (across some 300 nodes).

>  The configure script relies on the compiler and linker to determine
>  what header files and libraries are available.  So either install the
>  libraries and header files where the compiler  will find them by
>  default, or use the CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS variables to specify
>  non-standard locations.  This is the same as for all pretry much all
>  autoconf-generated configure scripts:
>
>   configure CPPFLAGS=-I/my/precious/headers LDFLAGS-L/my/precious/libs ...

That did the trick, thank you.

James

--
James P. Howard, II