Re: memory exhausted error.

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: memory exhausted error.
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:04:52 +0200

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:03 AM, GARY FORBIS <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is top posting OK.
>
> Is top posting socially acceptable?
>
> Thanks a bunch.  Hmm... I only have 1GB of RAM on a Pentium4 with
> Physical Address Extension. 1GB was a bunch when I bought the system.
> I've been thinking about moving to a home network with a mix of Linux and
> Windows.  From what I've been told 64bit processors aren't of much use
> in Windows because of a chicken and egg type situation.  Heck we're
> still running some DOS applications at work.  It looks like my maximum
> virtual memory is set to 3072MB.
>
> This certainly helps me analyze the problem.

I could run the test script up to:

Pretraining Layer 4 with RBM: 250-30
epoch    1 error 2155343.503608
epoch    2 error 1432327.843844
epoch    3 error 1153983.518902
epoch    4 error 996500.218948
epoch    5 error 898413.843781
epoch    6 error 760616.323076
epoch    7 error 664590.695046
epoch    8 error 631083.888948
epoch    9 error 614887.365661
epoch   10 error 606469.547478

Fine-tuning deep autoencoder by minimizing cross entropy error.
60 batches of 1000 cases each.

Then I got a load error. But I didn't get any memory problem.
The memory usage seemed to stablized around 1.6GB (total
memory usage, when looking in the task manager). I'm running
a dual P4-3.2GHz with 1GB RAM.

You might try to tune the virtual memory:
System properties -> Advanced tab -> Settings (in Performance area)
-> Advanced tab -> Virtual memory area

Michael.