Re: From Matlab to Octave

From: Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Subject: Re: From Matlab to Octave
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 23:33:54 -0400

D. Hartog wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to switch from Matlab to Octave....
>
> It is not total clear for me which packages I should install on Debian
> testing, I've octave 2.9 and 3.0 installed... Should I install all the
> octave- packages?

Install the octave 3.0 packages and remove the octave 2.9 packages unless
necessary. Octave 3.0 is better than 2.9. Just open up synaptic and see
what octave packages are out there and see which ones you need and which
are unnecessary!

> Do you use emacs as editor?

No! I use vim. But vim does not have good syntax highlighting support for
octave scripts. So you are probably better off with emacs or some other
editor. I use vim because I am more familiar with it and do not have time
to learn another editor.

hth
raju
--