Re: running long octave simulations

From: Steve Thompson
Subject: Re: running long octave simulations
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:16:40 -0700

It seems to me that, yes, octave will keep running the original script.

On a side note, I've been having to do similar stuff (long, remote
runs) and I've found the screen command to be much more flexible than
nohup.

Step 1: log in to remote octave-crunching computer

Step 2: type "screen" at the command line, hit enter

Step 3: do your business (eg, get octave running)

Step 4: close terminal

Step 5: beer, beach, etc

Step 6: after a few hours check in on simulation

  6a: log in to said computer

  6b: type "screen -r"

      You will see a list of active screens, something like:

        There are several suitable screens on:
                17712.pts-3.prospect
                17459.pts-3.prospect
                17857.pts-3.prospect

      meaning there are 3 such screens doing stuff.

  6c: type "screen -r 17712.pts-3.prospect" to reconnect to the
      first one on the list, etc

This can be done as many times as you like.  Sooooo cool.

Steve