Re: running long octave simulations

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: running long octave simulations
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:16:49 +0200

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>

>> Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/
>>

> What is the relevance of this link to my question? I am sorry but I could
> not figure out anything from visiting that page.
>
>> Don't modify the script you're currently running since 'octave' does not
>> compile source into bytecode (like Perl, Java, Python, Ruby), but
>> interprets each line when needed.
>
> Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
>
> But could it be possible that, octave actually loads the code into memory
> first then starts interpreting it line by line?

When Octave reads m-file code, it builds an internal parse tree
representation. Execution is then done by traversing the tree.

> For example, when you are running a simulation and one of the file is
> deleted? Then what happens? Does the simulation stop because the file was
> deleted?

An executing function or script will complete - as I explained above,
the parse tree is already in memory. What happens when a function or
script is called and the file is modified or no longer there (though
code is still in memory), should depend on the
ignore_function_time_stamp flag.