Re: Catastrophic Cancellation

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: Catastrophic Cancellation
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:39:49 +0200

>But this particular example is designed specifically for machines
>with 16-bit precision.  If we rewrite the same routine using long
>doubles, which with glibc on Linux has roughly 19-bits,

What do you mean, exactly?

>the problem disappears except for a tiny region around zero.

This is true for any precision.

>                                                  Soon, the gcc
>compiler and glibc will support the float128 data type which will
>provide 32 bits of precision.

Again, what do you mean by "32 bits of precision"?

The precision of Octave's floating point representation is about 16
decimal digits:
<https://www.cae.wisc.edu/pipermail/help-octave/2008-June/009755.html>

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040