Re: Installing Octave on a web server

From: Quentin Feyaerts
Subject: Re: Installing Octave on a web server
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:19:04 +0200

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Thomas Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
Do you expect visitors to provide any input? In that case, you *must*
filter those inputs really *strict*. You don't want
       system("rm -rf /")
to be executed.

No, the visitors won't provide any input. In fact, I will make a PHP script that will launch Octave and send it some instructions. Given these instructions, Octave will provide some results, and given these results, I will display some information on my website.

You can install the version of Octave that comes with your distribution.
Most distributions contain Octave, and unless you need the latest
version, the one that comes included should be fine.

       Thomas

This is where I'm stuck :P. I have asked hundreds of professional web hosters and none of them can tell me if Octave is installed on their servers (running on Linux or Windows). They all refer me to CGI/PERL scripts, but on google I have found that, to run a CGI script for Octave, Octave should be installed on the server. And I dunno how to install it.. do I have to upload the files of Octave on the server and that's it ?

Thanks for your answer.

Greets,
--
Quentin Feyaerts