Re: about axes properties

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: about axes properties
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:34:58 -0400

On 24-Jul-2008, Francesco Potorti` wrote:

| >My understanding is that the parameter for outerposition is a vector
| >p(1,2,3,4) with:
| >
| >p(1) is the x-coordinate of the lower left corner of the plot
| >p(2) is the y-coordinate of the lower left corner of the plot
| >p(3) is the width of the plot
| >p(4) is the height of the plot
| >
| >All these values are given in relative units, i.e. in fractions of the
| >width and height of the graph window, where (0/0) is the lower left
| >corner of the window and (1/1) is the upper right corner.
|
| Yes, this is I too deduced from the current documentation.
|
| >Does that make sense?
|
| Yes, this is approximately the behaviour I observe.
|
| >If so, something along these lines should propably be added to the
| >documentation.
|
| I could do that, but some things are not clear to me.
|
| 1) I can enlarge the plot up to 1.2 without exceeding the window
|    boundaries.
|
| 2) Apparently, when you make subplots, you can still move them around
|    through the whole window, which is good and useful, but also means
|    that "outerposition" is somehow initialised: why can't one look at
|    the initial values?
|
| 3) How does "aspectratio" interact with the imposed size?

Please remember that with the current graphics system, we are
generally doing what we can to approximate the relatively large and
complex Matlab graphics system given limited developer resources and
the limitations of gnuplot.  It might not always be possible to do the
Matlab-compatible thing given gnuplot's features.  Also, we are in the
process of replacing the gnuplot backend with an OpenGL-based
renderer, so any heroic efforts to improve the gnuplot backend might
not be justified.  If you'd like to discuss this further, or help to
improve Octave's graphics system, I think the maintainers list is a
better place for the discussion..

jwe