Re: Syntax for defining unknown variables in Octave ie x = sym("x").

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Syntax for defining unknown variables in Octave ie x = sym("x").
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 22:56:00 -0400

On Friday, August 01, 2008, at 10:39PM, "Russell jarvis" <address@hidden> wrote:
>I am trying to figure out if the Matlab syntax for defining symbols
>generally works in Octave such as in the below example.
>
>< > x = sym("x")
>< > y = sym("y")
>< > (x + 6 ) * y
>< ans = y*(6.0+x)
>
>When ever I try anything like this in Octave I get error messages. I
>wonder if there is an alternative approach to defining unknown
>variables in Octave?
>
>I have looked through the Octave documentation, but I have not managed
>to find a relevant topic or page addressing this issue.
>
>If anyone can help, or guide me to a page that would be cool.

hmmm ... from Matlab

>> help sym

sym not found.

Use the Help browser Search tab to search the documentation, or
type "help help" for help command options, such as help for methods.

The function you are attempting to use is part of Mathworks symbolic toolbox,
... which is an embedded version of Maple.

Octave also has a symbolic "toolbox" ... which may meet your needs.

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/doc/funref_symbolic.html

Ben