Re: Octave and OpenCV

From: Abdul Rahman Riza
Subject: Re: Octave and OpenCV
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:29:40 +0800

Dear John,

If you do not use OpenCV then I want to understand  the algorithm and source code for reading image and show it in gnuplot. Even I am a newbie but I really want to contribute and develop on this part (Image Processing).

Regards,
Riza

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 19:43 -0400, John W. Eaton wrote:
On  5-Aug-2008, Bill Denney wrote:

| Abdul Rahman Riza wrote:
| > I would like to know is Octave using OpenCV libraries for Image
| > Processing tools?
|
| Hi Riza,
|
| I think that Ocatve currently uses GraphicsMagick.

And that is only used for reading and writing image files.

Most (all?) of the rest of the image processing tools were written for
Octave in Octave's scripting language or C++.

I see that OpenCV is distributed under a BSD license, but appears to
link to the non-free Intel Integrated Performance Primitives, so it is
not clear whether it could be linked with Octave without violating the
GPL.

BTW, the Intel library is distributed "for free" for non-commercial
uses but they define "non-commercial" use as follows:

  Intel has expanded its offerings of free tools for non-commercial
  software development. This offering is provided to developers who
  are developing software on their own time without compensation.

  Non-commercial means you are not getting compensated in any form for
  the products and services you develop using these Intel Software
  Development Products. Please check the non-commercial FAQ for more
  information about qualifying for a non-commercial license.

  Note that academic use of the products does not qualify for a
  non-commercial license. Intel offers heavily discounted licenses to
  academic developers through our Academic Developer Program.

I would strongly oppose the use of a library distributed under terms
like that even if it did not present a GPL compatibility problem.

jwe