Re: how to interface sound card with octave on windows vista

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: how to interface sound card with octave on windows vista
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:28:14 +0200

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 2:37 PM, bharat pathak <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
>     I did not knew where to go and address, this so I am
>     posting on this forum. Please do not mind.
>
>     I have a .wav file which I want to read in octave and
>     play it using sound command. but I am getting
>     following error.
>
>     code: [y,fs,bits] = wavread('speech_filt.wav');
>              sound(y,fs,bits);
>
>     error: evaluating if command near line 60, column 3
>     error: called from 'sound' in file
> 'f:\install\octave3\octave\share\octave\packages\audio-1.1.1\sound.m'
>
> //-----------------------------------------
>
>    is the sound utility not able to interface with sound card.
>
>    I am running on windows machine with vista home edition.
>    octave version is 3.0.1

The "sound" function does not work under Windows, because it
relies on utilities (like "play") that are not available on Windows.
However, octave on windows includes another package called
"playrec" that allows to interface with the sound system of
Windows (tested under Windows XP, I'm not sure it'll work under
Windows Vista). For more information about that module, see
http://www.playrec.co.uk/index.php.

Michael.