Re: Fw: Future of Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Fw: Future of Octave
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:48:20 -0500

2008/8/23 John W. Eaton <address@hidden>:
> On 23-Aug-2008, Prof M. N. Anandaram wrote:
>
> | Those who want such a thing can try Scilab(
> | a French product available under GNUGPL) which already comes closer
> | to Matlab.
>
> Why do you say that Scilab is closer to Matlab?  My understanding is
> that it does not have a syntax that is as compatible with Matlab as
> Octave is.

And remember that Scilab also isn't under the GPL. It currently places
restrictions on commercial use, which is a GPL-incompatible
restriction, and would be a hindrance for some top Octave
contributors. There had been promises of putting it under the
GPL-compatible CeCILL license, and I think I see it already in the SVN
versions.

- Jordi G. H.