Re: Octave.app 3.0.2 for Mac OS X (BBEdit Case 102061)

From: Vic Norton
Subject: Re: Octave.app 3.0.2 for Mac OS X (BBEdit Case 102061)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 09:33:24 -0400

Hi Tom (and BBEdit Support),

I just downloaded Octave.app 3.0.2 from SourceForge. I am still getting the extraneous error message (which I'll refer to as [E]):

warning: load_path: ./Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/ libexec/octave/3.0.2/site/oct/powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.1: No such file or directory

when and only when I run certain octave scripts directly from BBEdit. This warning message never appears with versions of Octave.app earlier than 3.0.1.

I have narrowed the problem down to the cd function (I think). A simple script will illustrate the point:
   pwd
   cd
   pwd
   cd
   pwd
   cd
   pwd
   cd
   pwd

The output from this script (other than a "GNU Octave" preamble) should be
   ans = /
   ans = /Users/vic
   ans = /Users/vic
   ans = /Users/vic
   ans = /Users/vic
(with the appropriate home directory substituted for /Users/vic). This is the output I get when I run the script in octave or "in Terminal" from BBEdit. It is also the Octave.app-3.0.0-or-earlier output when the script is run directly from BBEdit. However, the output from Octave.app 3.0.1 or 3.0.2, when run directly from BBEdit, has 4 [E] error messages tagged onto the end.

This [E] problem is clearly a BBEdit problem since it only happens when the octave of Octave.app is run directly from BBEdit. But the [E] problem is also a current Octave.app problem since it only happens with Octave.app 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 (and not with Octave.app 3.0.0, 2.9.18, 2.9.17. 2.9.16, 2.9.15, ...).

It would be great if either you and your Octave.app cohorts or the BBEdit people could figure out what is causing the [E] problem!

Regards,

Vic Norton
Mac OS X 10.4.11
2.1 GHz PowerPC G5
BBedit 8.7.2 (260)

P.S. To BBEdit Support (in general) and Patrick Woolsey (in particular):
You can test Octave.app very easily. Just download the appropriate .dmg file from <http://octave.sourceforge.net>, open the disk image, and drop Octave.app into your Applications folder. Then run the above script with the shebang line
   #!/Applications/Octave.app/Contents/Resources/bin/octave
Or you can run Octave.app from any other folder by modifying the shebag line appropriately.