Spyware in Octave

From: Thomas L. Scofield
Subject: Spyware in Octave
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 09:42:38 -0400

Joshua,

This is serious business.  I will look into it.  Which version of Octave did you download, do you know?

T.Scofield

On Sep 16, 2008, at 8:18 AM, address@hidden wrote:

My name is Josh Uitvlugt and I am in section B of Math 232.  I have recently discovered a piece of malicious spyware called "Look2me" hiding out in my Octave file directory.  This spyware monitors the websites you visit and uploads that information to its central server, but it is able to do so around most firewalls, and operates virtually undetectable.  This program can also reduce PC running speed significantly and cause numerous other problems.  It is possible that any number of you has also been exposed to this spyware, but I was only able to detect this program using System Mechanic.

If any of you already have System Mechanic, then I would suggest running a scan.  If you don't, you can either wait and see if anyone else has this problem or download a free trial version of System Mechanic.  My System Mechanic was unable to remove the problem, but I was able to delete it manually by deleting all octave files on my computer.

If anyone detects this problem or a similar problem hiding within the Octave files, please let me know by replying to this email.

Thank you for reading, and I hope that this is only an isolated incident.

Josh

Thomas L. Scofield
Associate Professor
Calvin College