function writing in differential equations

From: genehacker
Subject: function writing in differential equations
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 16:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

     I am using dassl to solve algebraic differential equations and want to
write a variable as a function of time according to the dassl condition 0 =
f(x,xdot,t)

If I tried writing x(1) as a function only on time exponentially, like this,
x(1) = exp(-10*t), it gives an error. I would like to know the correct way
of writing a variable dependent only on time, if the function that solves
the ADE is function res = f(x,xdot,t);
Please help.

ps: I made sure that the initial conditions for x and xdot are correct, I
dont think the error is due to that.

cheers
k3

This is the error generated
----------------------------
 ***MESSAGE FROM ROUTINE DDASSL IN LIBRARY SLATEC.
 ***POTENTIALLY RECOVERABLE ERROR, PROG ABORTED, TRACEBACK REQUESTED
 *  AT T =    0.000000E+00  AND STEPSIZE H =    3.215509E-16  THE ERROR TEST
 *  FAILED REPEATEDLY OR WITH ABS(H)=HMIN
 *  ERROR NUMBER = -6
 *
 ***END OF MESSAGE

 ***JOB ABORT DUE TO UNRECOVERED ERROR.
0          ERROR MESSAGE SUMMARY
 LIBRARY    SUBROUTINE MESSAGE START             NERR     LEVEL     COUNT
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT CURRENT T =    1.        -1         1         2
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    0.000000E+        -8         1        12
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    0.000000E+        -6         1        25
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    4.710277E-        -6         1         2
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    1.538370E-        -6         1         2
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    1.655685E-        -6         1         3
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    0.000000E+        -7         1         4
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    2.000000E-        -3         1         2
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    3.762919E-        -6         1         7
 SLATEC     DDASSL     AT T =    1.505168E-        -6         1         2
0OTHER ERRORS NOT INDIVIDUALLY TABULATED =         12