Octave for Mac OSX

From: Thomas Treichl
Subject: Octave for Mac OSX
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 15:48:29 +0100

Henry F. Mollet schrieb:
Most recent announcement was for Octave 3.0.2 on 8/23/09 with URL
http://octave.sourceforge.net .
Henry

on 10/31/08 11:17 AM, Dushan Mitrovich at address@hidden wrote:

I used to see announcements here, by Thomas Treichl, for the latest Octave
binaries for Mac OSX, but haven't seen any recently.  Are such binaries
still available, or does one need to compile them oneself?  If the latter,
wgere would I find instructions on how to do this?  Thanks.

- Dushan Mitrovich

A reminder that I should do something ;)

The 3.0.3 announcement will follow this weekend. BTW, building Octave.app is not a secret. The scripts that I'm preparing and that I'm using are all there at the Octave-Forge project in the path admin/MacOSX/...

Regards,

  Thomas

PS. meant for everyone working with Octave on MacOSX (I wanted to write this a long time ago but I never did):

Generally, I would be very happy if more people (who are working on the MacOSX platform) also would contribute to the Octave project and also try to build binaries on their own.

Octave.app formerly was meant to give people something that they just can use, it was not meant that everybody then should lean back and wait until packagers do the bugsearch, bugfix and all the packaging and testing job on their own.

I currently see a little bit more than a handful of people who are trying to help making Octave for MacOSX better by compiling the sources on their own and by reporting back if something doesn't work. Even more than this, they are trying to fix bugs and send back changesets to mailing-list!

It further doesn't matter if you choose sources and libraries from the Fink distribution, HMUG, Macports or Octave-Forge if you want to build your own Octave program for MacOSX, since we can all just profit from each other. The only but most important thing is that you please help making things work or help making things better on MacOSX.

Thanks for attention,

  Thomas