Re: Octave presentation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave presentation
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:02:03 +0100

Jaroslav Hajek wrote:
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:09 AM, David Bateman
<address@hidden> wrote:
Julius Smith wrote:
At 06:13 PM 11/4/2008, David Bateman wrote:
I'll believe the R/S vs Octave/Matlab thing when Cleve Moler contributes
to Octave..
That would be unlikely at this point since Cleve Moler is "chairman
and chief scientist" at The Mathworks:
<http://www.mathworks.com/company/aboutus/founders/clevemoler.html>
That was kind of my point.. The founder of S is a contributor to R and
the same can't be said for Matlab/Octave.

Yes, we have a tougher position :) I sometimes wonder whether
Mathworks views Octave as a competition.
I guess not. Yet, at the same time, my intended talk about Octave at
the TCP'08 conference in Prague (organized by local Matlab reseller
and quite Matlab-centric) has been disapproved by the international
comittee, of which C. Moler is a chairman. (The organizer's reply
seemed to carry a tone of surprise, suggesting that not approving a
contribution is not really common). Yes they offered me a poster
session but I don't have time for making posters now. Anyway, next
year I'm going to try again just for the fun of it.

cheer
Octave inevitably is competition Mathworks... They choose to ignore Octave for now with the specious argument that experience with octave prepares the user for a much better experience with Matlab.... Sure that might be true now (though less and less true as time goes on), once the users themselves realize their own contributions make Octave better a certain point will pass that Octave will be "good enough" for a larger and larger group of users, and that momentum will make the improvement in Octave exponential.. We are really getting to that point now in my opinion, and so soon Mathworks won't be able to ignore Octave. I'd say their reaction, based on past experience might be something like their lawsuits against COMSOL. That is

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-txedce/case_no-6:2006cv00334/case_id-97908/

for the patent case and

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-txedce/case_no-6:2006cv00335/case_id-97909/

for the copyright case. Though who they can sue will be interesting to see and the backlash against a company that tries to sue volonteers contributing to the public good without profit for themselves will be interesting to see as well.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary