The saga of Octave & Image pkg - OctaveSourceForge

From: Robert Fong-tom
Subject: The saga of Octave & Image pkg - OctaveSourceForge
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:48:06 -0500

I have successfully used MacPorts to port Octave and the Image package (after much work). However, other packages that I am interested in were at 1 or more revs behind what is on octavesourceforge.net and thus missing functions that I need. So I started to look at alternatives and it seems to me the best place to get the most up-to-date Octave and Octave packages is at octavesourceforge.net. Most of the packages at this site are very straight forward to install.... but the image package seems to be a bear (for me anyway). I have a couple of questions.

1) The description of the image package lists buildrequires - jpg- devel. Do I need to install jpg-devel before installing the image pkg? If so where can I get it? I googled for it but could not find it.

2) Can someone give me instructions for installing ImageMagick for MAC OS X 10.4.11 so that it works with Octave/Image pkg? I tried using the instructions given in the Octave readme file for installing the gsl package but this did not work (it failed to make). i got the ImageMagick-6.4.6-2.tar.gz from the ImageMagick ftp site.

3) Is GraphMagick also a requirement? I see some comments about this in some of the forums but it is not listed as a requirement in the Image package description on octavesourceforge.net.

My system: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.4.11, Intel

Thanks,
Bob