octave+gnuplot: upgrading problems

From: ayk
Subject: octave+gnuplot: upgrading problems
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 05:52:38 -0800 (PST)

hi,

my administrator has recently upgraded our octave version to 3.0.3 from
(probably) 2.?.?
after the upgrade, i can't seem to be able to use imagesc.
here is my error message:

octave:6> imagesc(b)

gnuplot> set autoscale fix;
                       ^
         line 0: Invalid range

         Cannot open load file '--version'
         line 0: (No such file or directory)

error: you must have gnuplot installed to display graphics; if you have
gnuplot installed in a non-standard location, see the 'gnuplot_binary'
function

we have gnuplot (3.7) installed, and in the usual place:
    which gnuplot
    /usr/bin/gnuplot

changing 'gnuplot_binary' to '/usr/bin/gnuplot' doesn't do the trick.

i'd appreciate any help you can give me, and please, keep it simple, i'm
only a simple user, not the administrator / sudo.