Re: Problems installing odepkg in octave 3.0.3

From: Samuel H. Dupree, Jr.
Subject: Re: Problems installing odepkg in octave 3.0.3
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 13:59:48 -0500

Thomas Treichl wrote:
Samuel H. Dupree, Jr. schrieb:

Thomas Treichl wrote:

Samuel H. Dupree, Jr. schrieb:

I'm running Octave 3.0.3 on a Mac PowerPC G4 running Mac OS 10.4.11.
I'm attempting to install ODEPKG 0.6.4, and thus far I've been
unsuccessful. The steps I've been using to install ODEPKG are as
follows:

    1. Downloaded the odepkg-0.6.4.tar.gz and placed it in my home
directory
    2. Launch Octave.app from the Applications folder on the desktop
    3. Octave.app launches a UNIX terminal window in which Octave is
initiated
    4. From the Octave prompt cd to my home directory where
odepkg-0.6.4.tar.gz resides
    5. Entered the command, pkg install odepkg-0.6.4.tar.gz, to
install the package
    6. The installed produced the following output:

<SNIP>

What am I doing wrong, or what work-around do I need to do to
successfully install odepkg?

Sam Dupree.

Hi Sam,

where did you get your /usr/local/bin/gcc 4.3.0 from?

Have you set the CC environment variable? In Octave type

  getenv ("CC")

Best regards,

  Thomas

gcc 4.3.0 came from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/. As for the CC
environment variable, I did not have  it set. Now I did enter getenv
("CC") in Octave and attempted to install odepkg with the same results -
the install failed (see listing below).

Could the version 4.3.0 of gcc that I obtained from hpc.sourceforge.net
<http://hpc.sourceforge.net/> be the problem? I have a dot file called
.octaverc; should the CC environment variable be set here, and what
should it be set to?

Sam Dupree.

<SNIP>

The output of your 'getenv ("CC")' is ok. It's set by the startup script of Octave.app and is not visible to any other program of your Mac. Now I expect that your gcc 4.3.0 does not do the right thing. You should have installed Apple's version of GCC in /usr/bin that comes with the XCode tools. Now, how can you do that?

a) Find out where /usr/local/bin was added to your system's $PATH environment variable and remove it just for the installation of odepkg. After that you can add it again. This makes sure that no other program in your /usr/local/bin is found.

Close Terminal.app from your Dock and then open a new Terminal.app window, then type

  which gcc
  which g++

and check for programs /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/g++. Startup Octave.app and try to install the package once again. Finally you can add your /usr/local/bin directory to your $PATH once again.

b) rename /usr/local just for the installation of odepkg, eg. rename /usr/local into /usr/__local. Then continue with the same steps than in a) by closing Terminal.app in the Dock and by checking for gcc and g++.

Best regards,

  Thomas

Thomas,

Your suggestion to remove /usr/local/bin out of my system's $PATH environment variable and then do the installation worked, "Thanks a lot, we're breathing again!"

One  final question though; do you have any thoughts as to why gcc 4.3.0 from hpc.sourceforge.net is different from what Apple supplies with XCode?

 Again, thank you for your help.

Sam Dupree.