apply for google summer of code with octave?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: apply for google summer of code with octave?
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:51:51 -0400

On  9-Mar-2009, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

| would it make sense to apply with octave as a google summer of code
| project? I mean things like plotting, jit, improved compatibility to
| matlab, parallelization, toolboxes could all be topics...
|
| Deadline is this week (March 13).

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_timeline_5354032302481437_

I have no objection to applying, but I don't have the time to do it,
so someone else will have to take on this project.

Please choose projects for which qualified mentors are available.  Who
here would be interested in serving as a mentor for a GSoC project?
I don't really have time, so please don't count on me being a mentor
for a project.

I think something like a JIT compiler is too complex for a GSoC
project.  I think we want the project to be challenging but small
enough in scope so that success is highly likely.

jwe