Study about accuracy of statistical software, incl. Octave

From: Ivan Sutoris
Subject: Study about accuracy of statistical software, incl. Octave
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 13:52:06 +0100

Through R-help mailing list, I've stumbled upon an upcoming study
comparing accuracy of free statistical software (R, Python, Ox and
Octave), which I thought may be of some interest here. For Octave
(authors used version 2.9.12), they report some problems with accuracy
when computing correlation coefficient (corrcoef), quantiles for some
distributions (tinv, chi2inv) and for linear regression (regress from
Octave-Forge). Here is the reference and link:

Almiron, M. and Almeida, E. S. and Miranda, M.: The Reliability of
Statistical Functions in Four Software Packages Freely used in
Numerical Computation. (to appear in) Brazilian Journal of Probability
and Statistics, Special Issue on Statistical Image and Signal
Processing
http://www.imstat.org/bjps/papers/Almiron.pdf

Regards
Ivan Sutoris