Re: calculate SNR and watch a binary file

From: Rob Mahurin
Subject: Re: calculate SNR and watch a binary file
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:27:06 -0400

On Mar 26, 2009, at 6:18 PM, Markus Feldmann wrote:
Rob Mahurin schrieb:
These files came from some analog-to-digital converter?  If you look
at them with hexdump, there is stuff that looks like data only in the
first 200 bytes or so.  The rest of the file looks likes zeros and
the occasional 0x80bf.  I wouldn't expect the data read from these
files to have a meaningful Fourier transform.

Cheers,
Rob

The data can be watched with my method, but not be plotted.
I do not know how to collect the complex values and bits ?

Ok, here is a clipping from the data at the beginning:
        0 +     0i
        0 +     0i
       -1 +     0i
        0 -     1i
      -13 +     2i
       65 -    32i
     -183 +    98i
      412 -   233i
     -831 +   478i
     1572 -   918i
    -3050 +  1745i
     8314 -  4139i
   -12548 -  5491i
     3899 + 10329i
     3523 -  2748i
    -1791 +  1379i
      951 -   738i
     -484 +   378i
      219 -   176i
      -84 +    69i
       19 -    20i
        0 +     0i
        0 -     1i
        0 +     0i
        0 -     1i
        0 +     0i
        0 -     1i
        0 +     0i
        0 +     0i
        0 +     0i
        0 +     0i

This is a plausible decoding of your data file. To plot just the real or imaginary part of a vector v, do plot(real(v)) or plot(imag (v)). plot(v) will show points in the complex plane.

If these are already Fourier components, plot( abs(v).^2 ) will show your power spectrum. There is a broad peak centered around the 15th frequency bin.

If this is supposed to look like a sine wave, you have made a mistake I don't understand.

Cheers,
Rob

--
Rob Mahurin