Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Comfortable Octave usage on Windows
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 06:41:12 +0900 (JST)

Hello

--- Jaroslav Hajek  wrote:

> > This will also perpetuate
> > companies funding and as a result, in my opinion, attracting more funding.
> > But if the funding policy is "pay for what you need/want" I値l ask my
> > company to donate for the GUY as for us no GUY no Octave. In the worst case
> > scenario we will quietly and pragmatically fold back on Scilab (that I used
> > under Linux back in 1997-2003 at uni) that will better meet what I identify
> > as my company痴 requirements at the expense of Matlab compatibility.
> > I will then have to code Scilab, thing that anyone familiar with Matlab can
> > do, and not code a GUY, thing I just cannot do, or being dragged into
> > managing a subcontracted software development thing that I don稚 have time
> > to do.
>
> Yeah, it's funny how everybody is busy when it comes to this topic :)
>
> > Please don稚 misunderstand me. I am NOT saying that Scilab is superior to
> > Octave and Octave should compete against it. I wouldn稚 post here if it was
> > the case. But my company expects me to make the sensible decisions in terms
> > of compromises whatever my gut feeling is. This is the daily task of just
> > about any engineer.
>
> OK, so what's the point? What would you expect the Octave developers to do?
> If you're just another user who wants Octave GUI but won't contribute
> to it, then join the club, there are hundreds of members, cute little
> badges and special anniversary parties.
> If you (or your company) will support development of QtOctave (or
> other free Octave GUI), then I think that's great, and there's no need
> to defend your position or apologize for being "unfair" or whatever.
> Of course you can't support every free software you use - nobody
> expects that. It's only logical to support what you need most.

What I would like to reply to your previous post has been already mentioned by
Jaroslav :-).
If you (or your company) would like to use more useful GUI interface to the
octave at present, please
ask it to the team of QtOctave. If the donation to QtOctave team will be good
for QtOctave
improvement, it is great for octave for windows users who would like to use GUI
interface to Octave.

Regards

Tatsuro

http://pr.mail.yahoo.co.jp/toolbar/