Re: Re; Re; Windows

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Re; Re; Windows
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 07:17:18 +0200

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 6:59 AM, dmelliott <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear Jaroslav Hajek,
>
>    All the binaries you have ever installed into a Windows OS.

... go on ... example? Remember that Octave is GPL and written in C++.
That surely does not apply to "all the binaries" I ever installed into
Windows (last time, that was IE7 installed on someone else's
computer). Off my head I can't think of a Windows-enabled GPL software
written in C++.

> Another
> obfuscation "I didn't follow the discussion too close, but the impression I
> got is that the legal argument for why we cannot distribute the binary is
> somewhat technical ... ".
>
>    Obviously there is absolutely nothing wrong with distributing binaries
> for the WinOS, per se, or an entire economy would be crashing down.
>
>    There is all sorts of freeware out there, that installs just fine.  The
> only hitch I can see, if appropriate disclaimers are given, is using a
> propriatary installer program without proper permission.

Are you sure you understand the fundamental difference between
freeware and free software (GPL'd in particular)?

>    Bad economic times promote interest in and a true need for freeware, and
> if there was ever a time in which you could fulfill your goal:

Octave is not a freeware.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek
computing expert & GNU Octave developer