OCST: Gain Margin

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: OCST: Gain Margin
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 23:51:37 +0200

Dear Octave Community,

I wrote an objective function to optimize an Aström/Hägglund PID Controller numerically by fminsearch. Versions for Octave and Matlab/ SImulink can be found here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/lukasre/download/optiPID/

The Octave control package is quite limited. However, I managed to get along quite easily except for one thing: the gain margin of a system. In Matlab, there's [gamma, phi, w_gamma, w_phi] = margin(sys). I couldn't think of a way to calculate the gain margin numerically. Is there any control systems engineer out there who knows how to implement an algorithm for the problem? Help would be very appreciated.

Regards,
Lukas

BTW: Despite I implemented the routine quite differently, the conformity of the results between Matlab and Octave is simply fantastic :-)